Re: Using strings and other types to return markup

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Using strings and other types to return markup
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 08:57:17 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johan Vromans" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 10:50 PM

On Wed, 11 May 2016 17:58:52 +0100
"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> wrote:

Attached is my LilyPond approximation of that
section of the madrigal.

Regarding the ye versus Þe -- it seems wrong to me to simulate the
appearance of a handwritten glyph (thorn, but looking like y) with the wrong
glyph.

This is a generic problem when typesetting hand-written texts. For example,
some people like to write a z with a tail ('long zett' IIRC). When
transcribing, should this be simulated with e.g. an ezh? Or just use a z
since that is the meaning of the glyph?

The original I'm using is not hand-written - it's printed - and the character used in it is an actual y.

--
Phil Holmes