Extending the staff for time signature changes between scores

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Extending the staff for time signature changes between scores
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 08:43:12 -0700

My situation is this: I have two \score sections and at the end of the first I want to alert the reader that the next staff will have a time signature change.  Lilypond does this for me perfectly within a score but between two scores it gets problematic.  Consider this code:

%%% Start code
\version "2.19.41"
\language "english"

\paper {
  ragged-right = ##f
}

theChords = \chordmode { e1 a b e }

theBeats = \relative {
  \time 4/4
  \numericTimeSignature
  \improvisationOn
  \repeat unfold 4 {
    | b'4 b b b
  }
  %%% Here is the problem
  \time 7/4
  % without the s16, the staff is not extended
  s16 % with the s16, the staff extends too far
}

\score {
  <<
    \new ChordNames \theChords
    \new Staff \theBeats

  \layout {
    indent = 0

theMelody = \relative {
  \time 7/4
  \repeat unfold 4 {
    | c'4 d e f g a b

\score {
  \new Staff \theMelody
  \layout {
    indent = 0
%%% End code

If you compile this code to a PDF, you either get the new time signature outside the end of the first line (without the final s16) or you get a staff extension that is too long.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

---
Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)