Re: Ask about the typesetting of Lilypond

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Ask about the typesetting of Lilypond
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 12:40:04 -0600

On 16-05-22 02:18 AM, Federico Bruni wrote:
Il giorno dom 22 mag 2016 alle 9:51, 15221328968 <address@hidden> ha scritto:
Hello :
 I am using Lilypond to make a music score.
But I found there are many bars in one line, and it is not very beautiful as the picture below shows. Could I ask u how to define the number of bars of each line? Thank you very much.

Hi

This is a rather simple question. I assume that you are new to LilyPond, so let me explain how to search the answer in the documentation.

I suggest starting from the index of the Notation Reference:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/lilypond-index

If you click on the B and search for breaking, you quickly find:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/line-breaking

and at the bottom of that page:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/other-paper-variables#paper-variables-for-line-breaking

So you have two tools:

1. \break for "hard" breaks (I suggest using it rarely, only where you really want to force a line break) 2. \paper variables: this is what you'd like to use mostly, as you can usually change the line breaking of a whole score with one or two options without touching the music (easier to maintain and change later)

HTH
Federico

In addition to Federico's specific guidance, it will be well worth your while to read through the Learning Manual, which will give you a grand tyour of all the elements of LilyPond's way of engraving.

Cheers,
Colin

--
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
- Alan Ashley-Pitt