Re: Typesetting a Bach Ornament; Sarabande, French Suite 5

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Typesetting a Bach Ornament; Sarabande, French Suite 5
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 11:01:22 +0200

> On 23 May 2016, at 02:48, Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> wrote:

> Do you want to do that or do you want to get close to what Bach wrote? If you
> look at the Bach autograph of this piece, available in the Digital Bach
> Archive, you will see not only no nachschlag there but hardly any phrasing
> slurs, and definitely not the dotted one in your sample image.

Listening in to [1], I think it has been added by the editor to indicate that
the ornament should start on the auxiliary, the note above the written note, as
was done in the Baroque period. It sounds it is played as an ordinary Baroque
trill (my dictionary says the pralltriller was introduced later by C.P.E. Bach).

1. http://imslp.org/wiki/6_French_Suites,_BWV_812-817_(Bach,_Johann_Sebastian)