Re: Typesetting a Bach Ornament; Sarabande, French Suite 5

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Typesetting a Bach Ornament; Sarabande, French Suite 5
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 20:01:15 +1000

Hi Simon,

You yourself mention Henle’s critical apparatus is poor. Henle is not well
regarded in terms of scholarly excellence. And their editions  are full of
mistakes. Their so called ‘urtext’ editions are far from it, and as for
providing piano fingering for Bach harpsichord works, it leaves me dumbfounded.
[One of the nice things about their new app is that you can _remove_ the
fingerings – something I suppose the publishers did not think was a benefit,
but it is!] And furthermore, the engraving is nowhere near as good as Lilypond!

Re BWV 815, I am going with Bach’s own MS, not Henle. The several other copies
by various copyists may have additional marks, but that’s not what Bach wrote
in this case.

Andrew