Re: OT: high-precision tuner app

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: OT: high-precision tuner app
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 09:27:04 -0400

Hi Johan,

> But my question was: Why are they "almost unsingable" in the original
> pitch? Did the human voice get higher since?

For centuries, women weren’t allowed to sing in church. So men and boys had to
cover all parts, including the higher ones. Although boy sopranos and altos
have impressive ranges, female sopranos and altos have a slightly higher
general range: c’’' is generally the top of even the most spectacular boy
soprano voice, but (e.g.) the “Queen of the Night” aria extends up to f’’’.

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info