Re: OT: high-precision tuner app

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: OT: high-precision tuner app
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 10:57:50 +0200

> On 26 May 2016, at 08:49, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> Absolutely fascinating stuff but bizarre all the considerations
>>> that affect pitch over time.
>>
>> Off topic, I know, but how do those gifted with perfect pitch cope
>> with all this?
>
> They simply dispair.  I speak from experience :-)
>
> To a certain extent (say, plus-minus a whole note) I can compensate
> the different pitch.  If the difference is larger, I have to transpose
> everything.

Perhaps you might try the programs mentioned before [1] that I wrote for ChucK,
which allows one to play different tunings on the computer keyboard, to see if
you can get used to it. A Swedish composer with absolute pitch said he managed
to get used to exact quarter tones, or E24, and it was not so difficult for him.

1. https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-05/msg00465.html