Re: OT: high-precision tuner app

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: OT: high-precision tuner app
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 00:45:08 +0100

On 26/05/16 08:34, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> > "Perfect pitch" is a sham.  [...]
> It seems that you don't know the facts very well.  Absolute pitch is
> *not* related to being a `better' musician.  In fact, it's not even
> related to music.  Have a look at the Wikipedia article; it gives a
> nice overview.
>
> In general, I consider having an absolute pitch a burden.  My life
> would be *much* easier if I hadn't to do transposition all the time.

I think what Andrew is describing is *relative* pitch. Often confused
with Perfect Pitch.

Perfect Pitch is something innate, iirc. You have it, or you don't, and
it's obvious by about the age of 5 at the latest. Most importantly, it
does NOT appear to be learnt.

Relative Pitch, on the other hand, IS learned. I can pitch a Bb just
like that, not surprisingly :-) Oddly enough, I can also pitch a G, it's
the first note of "God Save the Queen". I should then be able to work
out any note by comparing it to those two reference notes, except I'm
not that good a musician.

Cheers,
Wol