Re: [ANN] Seven Music Notation Programs

From: Pierre Perol-Schneider
Subject: Re: [ANN] Seven Music Notation Programs
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 12:04:51 +0200

Thank you John.
Very interesting indeed.
Cheers,
Pierre

About ten years ago a group of us decided to do a comparison of the most
popular notation programs, to see how each program looked in print. Although
one program's output can be made to look much like another's, some aspects
of that are easier to do, and it’s interesting how the personality of the
pages varies.

I mentioned this to Abraham Lee, a noted designer of music fonts, who
replied:

> I couldn’t agree more! It really is amazing to see how each application
> embeds its own personality into the score’s appearance, beyond what is
> “correct” or not. Truly fascinating, indeed!

Although feature set and interface may be more important to some in the
choice of an engraving program, this comparison was done for those
especially interested in high quality publication.

Unsolicited comments on "Six Music Notation Programs" included “Absolutely
amazing! . . . Interesting! . . . This is certainly a worth while endeavor .
. . a really great idea and I’m glad that someone is taking the time to do
it the right way . . . I love seeing how each program handles music.”

It's time for an update, both to include two new popular programs and to
revise other programs' samples using the latest versions. So "Seven Music
Notation Programs", with a one-page score for classical guitar as done in
Finale, LilyPond, MuseScore, Notion, Overture, Score and Sibelius, is at:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64325719/Seven%20Music%20Notation%20Programs.pdf

Many thanks to Abraham Lee, who did the LilyPond sample.

Enjoy,
John R.