Re: AfterGrace

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: AfterGrace
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 10:41:40 +1000

Hi Mark,

On 6 June 2016 at 04:24, Mark Stephen Mrotek <address@hidden> wrote:

> In the attached snippet I want the aftergrace positioned closer to the
> subsequent bar line.

Hi Mark,

> On 6 June 2016 at 4:26:08 AM, Mark Stephen Mrotek (address@hidden) wrote:
>
> In the attached snippet I want the aftergrace positioned closer to the
> subsequent bar line.
>
> What should I do?

When I want a grace before a barline, rather than using \afterGrace, I
use the technique of just using \grace with an invisible barline, then
the notes, then a visible barline:

\grace { \bar "" notes... \bar "|" }

The bass clef stops the notes going flush to the bar which would
happen with the above technique normally. The best I found is to
squeeze the clef X-extent a little. This does not give the tightest
fit for the grace notes, but it is closer than the original. Others
will know better how to get the notes to sit above the clef I am sure.
You could put the clef after the barline but many people do not like
that.

Andrew

== snip

\version "2.18.2"

upper = \relative c'' {
  \clef treble
  \key g \major
  \time 6/8
  %\afterGrace <c fis>2.\fermata {s8 b16 ([c] d [c b a])} |
  <c fis>2.\fermata   \grace { \bar "" b16 ([c] d [c b a]) \bar "|" } |
  \stemNeutral
  g4
}

lower = \relative c {
  \clef treble
  \key g \major
  \time 6/8
  <d' a'>2.\fermata
  \override Staff.Clef.X-extent = #'(0 . 1.6)
  \clef bass
  <g, b>4
}

\score {