How does the lilypond-book-preamble work?

From: Noeck
Subject: How does the lilypond-book-preamble work?
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 12:48:01 +0200

Hi,

could someone explain to me how lilypond-book (esp. the preamble) works?

I read this in ly/lilypond-book-preamble.ly:

several define ...-handler                  % what is that?
#(ly:set-option 'backend 'eps)              % what if I want svg?
#(ly:set-option (quote no-point-and-click)) % ok
#(define inside-lilypond-book #t)           % consequences?
#(define version-seen #t)                   % ok, I can omit the version

From the code, I could not find how the cropping, removing of indent,
removing of the tagline, output as png happens and where the tex, texi
and count files are produced (I don't need them).

I want to do sth similar with a few modifications:
The preamble supresses the tagline and crops the output which is what I
want.

But I can't tweak the output to SVG. Does that even make sense?  I mean,
is cropping possible with SVG? Firefox can show the svg and it is a
vector graphic (no pixels) but is the reader required to have the fonts
installed? Or will it display in a browser if it is capable of SVG
rendering?
And as I said, I don't need the tex/texi/count files, just the png or
svg (of course I can delete them afterwards by hand).

TIA,
Joram