Re: Song with two different verses, where the melody differs but in the

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Song with two different verses, where the melody differs but in the last two measures
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 11:25:58 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Abraham Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Bernhard Kleine [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 16.06.2016 um 18:45 schrieb tisimst:
Bernhard,

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Bernhard Kleine [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a hymn which has 8 measures which are alltogether repeated.
The last two measures are different between the repetitions.
The text, however, is totally different between the two repitition.

I have not found an example for this. Please give me some hints to set
the hymn.

I think you might get a complaint about not having a "tiny example" or source file to show how far you've gotten (or at least a picture or something), but I wonder if you have seen this section:

Seems like the subsection "Repeats with alternative endings" might point you in the right direction.

HTH,
Abraham
I have seen the appropiate page in the German manual, the following does not work, error unexpected alternative:

[SNIP]

mehrstimmigText = \lyricmode {
  \repeat volta 2 {
  \alternative {
    {  Gut, dass wir ein -- an -- der ha -- ben, gut, dass wir ein -- an -- der sehn,
    Sor -- gen, Freu -- den, Krä -- fte tei -- len und auf einem We -- ge gehn. }
    { Gut,  dass wir nicht uns nur ha -- ben, dass der Kreis sich nie -- mals schließt,
    und dass Gott, von dem wir re -- den, hier in uns -- rer Mit -- te ist. }

[SNIP]

That's because you didn't put anything in the \repeat volta 2 { ... } section prior to starting the \alternative { { ... } { ... } } section.

Oh, and you'll probably want to NOT use \repeat here at all, but enter them as separate Lyrics, adding necessary \skip in the second verse to go into the 2nd alternative ending, like

merhstimmigTextI = \lyricmode {
  % verse 1
}

merhstimmigTextII = lyricmode {
  % verse 2
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "RefrainA" \merhstimmigTextI
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "RefrainA" \merhstimmigTextII

and then attach them to the same voice ("RefrainA"?).

Best,
Abraham