Re: Introduction Bracket glyphs

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Introduction Bracket glyphs
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 12:21:08 +0200

Am 19.06.2016 um 12:13 schrieb Malte Meyn:

> Am 19.06.2016 um 12:06 schrieb Urs Liska:
>> It
>> doesn't have the opening bracket without letter, but that could be
>> easily achieved (either by adding it to the font or by flipping the
>> existing glyph). Unfortunately, IIRC Arnold will be one of the first
>> fonts that won't be released under a free license anymore.
>
> Why not add the four characters (start Hauptstimme, start Nebenstimme,
> start Stimme (bracket only), end *stimme) to Feta? This wouldn’t
> require any special, potentially unfree fonts or hacky solutions ;)
> And it should be easily done it Metafont as these are very simple
> characters.

You're right, these shouldn't be hard to create in Metafont. But "not
hard" is quite relative in that domain ;-) (I have once started fiddling
around with existing glyphs, so I know *I* wouldn't be able to add new
glyphs).

But I think I would prefer a "drawn" solution where you can
a) configure the appearance of the brackets (thickness, length of both
lines, maybe make it dashed)
b) choose arbitrary letters.
I know that in some English scores M and S are used (for Main and
Secondary), and I think once such a tool exists people might want other
letters as well.

> And maybe Haupt-/Nebenstimme commands could use the analysis brackets
> David mentioned.
>
> Perhaps this addition would encourage people to add these glyphs to
> other LilyPond fonts ;)

You're right, but actually I think this should also conceptually be done
on a drawing level.

Urs