Re: Introduction Bracket glyphs

From: Graham King
Subject: Re: Introduction Bracket glyphs
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 13:01:11 +0100

On Sat, 2016-06-18 at 23:19 -0700, Breanne Szilagyi wrote:
Good Evening,

I am arranging a hymn for organ and need to indicate the recommended measures to use for an introduction.  I am looking for square brackets: the first bracket is the top and left sides of a square and the second bracket is the top and right sides. And I want to place them above the system.
<snip>

This is related to the issue of colouration brackets and ligature brackets discussed at https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-08/msg00186.html.  IIRC, the approach there used unicode characters resembling the required glyphs.

Last time I tangled with this, a friend suggested:

I think I’ve managed to get a handle on how lilypond deals with font selection.  Analysing your L’homme armé score was complicated by your choice of glyphs for colouration brackets – characters U+250F “Box Drawings Heavy Down And Right” and U+2513 “Box Drawings Heavy Down And Left” are absent from a surprising number of fonts, forcing the font manager to go and hunt in exotic places to try and find them.  The characters U+250C “Box Drawings Light Down And Right” and U+2510 “Box Drawings Light Down And Left” are much more common.