Re: Custom / Fine tuning vertical space between piano staff lines

From: DJF
Subject: Re: Custom / Fine tuning vertical space between piano staff lines
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 23:13:13 -0400

On Jun 16, 2016, at 8:28 PM, Harald Christiansen <address@hidden> wrote:

I need to add some supplemental white space between piano staff lines (to avoid a crowded look and near clashes).

Harald,

I think you were on the right track with staffgroup spacing, but sometimes implementing this stuff in scores can be confusing (at least I've found it so).

I had the same issue, and, after some research, came up with a template that works for me. The example below is a minimal version of that. If you try changing the values in the \score block (basic-distance, minimum-distance, padding, and stretchability), you can see how each value plays a role. As long as the values are sensible (in relation to each other), you can get quite good results. I generally leave the padding at 1 or 0, most often changing the basic & minimum distances—just enough to make that one system look good that you’re trying to improve, without making all the others too spread out. It will take some trial and error, but it does get easier to figure out with experience.

The key bit that allows this control is removing the Vertical_align_engraver. Also, in the \paper block, the system-system spacing (or other spacing variables you might use) obviously plays a role in overall spacing, but I always try compiling before using any of those to see how things look before I start messing.

I hope this is helpful.

Dan

\version "2.19.39"

\paper {
%  system-system-spacing.basic-distance = #22
  indent = 0\cm
  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
}

global = {
  \time 4/4
  \key c \major
}

rightOne = \relative c' {
  \global
  c4 d e f
  g a b c
  \repeat unfold 50 { c,4 d e f
                       g a b c }
  \bar "|."
}

rightTwo = \relative c' {
  \global
  \repeat unfold 51 { c4 c c c
                       c c c c }
}

leftOne = \relative c' {
  \global
  c4 b a g
  f e d c
  \repeat unfold 50 { c'4 b a g
                       f e d c }
}

leftTwo = \relative c {
  \global
    \repeat unfold 51 { c4 c c c
                         c c c c }
}

\score {
  \new PianoStaff \with { \remove "Vertical_align_engraver" }
    <<
    \new Staff = "right" \with {
         \override VerticalAxisGroup.default-staff-staff-spacing =
          #'((basic-distance . 12)
           (minimum-distance . 8)
           (padding . 1)
           (stretchability . 16)) }
      { \clef treble << \rightOne \\ \rightTwo >> }

    \new Staff = "left"
      { \clef bass << \leftOne \\ \leftTwo >> }

  \layout {