Re: Custom / Fine tuning vertical space between piano staff lines

From: Harald Christiansen
Subject: Re: Custom / Fine tuning vertical space between piano staff lines
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 07:57:56 +1000

Hello Joram,

This is what I am talking about:

If you look at the "Für Elise" by Mutopia, page 3, bar 95. You will see
a E6 there.
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/BeethovenLv/WoO59/fur_Elise_WoO59/fur_Elise_WoO59-a4.pdf

The final output looks good but only because the author used

ragged-last-bottom = ##f

http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/BeethovenLv/WoO59/fur_Elise_WoO59/fur_Elise_WoO59.ly

Now that may work in that particular score but it's not a general solution.

If you comment out the 'ragged-last-bottom = ##f ' you will see that the
E6 protrudes into the pedal line above.

I want a general solution for manually fine tune the space between the
PianoStaff lines, i.e. override _once_ the staffgroup-staff-spacing from
within the score

It appears that the issue is not new either. I saw some old references
(2011 etc.), but unfortunately I couldn't find the URL.

The problem is that the skyline have nooks and protrusions and they fit
into one another like cogwheels. That may be good in general but it may
occasionally require manual intervention ­— AFAIK there is no proper
mechanism to assist manual fine tuning.

So, I eventually ended up solving the problem by using \markup with a
two rows of blank strings attached to the E6, something like:
e^\markup { \override #'(baseline-skip . 5) \column { " " " " } } i.e.
adding an empty box with the desired high and depth above the note (it
also have width but I can live with that).

But it's just a hack. I was unable to find a proper general solution.

Regards.