Flute Accompaniment

From: Br. Gabriel-Marie | SSPX
Subject: Flute Accompaniment
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 13:14:42 -0500

In my piece I have a piano staff with the music on the bottom staff.  In the upper staff it is supposed to be notes for recorder or flute accompaniment.  In the original the flute notes and its staff are all a bit smaller in size.  What do you call those smaller notes?  I want to make the entire top staff + the notes just smaller so it is obvious to the singers not to try and sing the accompaniment.  How do I do that?