Re: GSoC update; Q's about final/draft modes, and triggering footnotes

From: Paul
Subject: Re: GSoC update; Q's about final/draft modes, and triggering footnotes
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 09:12:37 -0400

Hi Jeffrey,

It's good to hear about your progress!  Just a thought about modes...

On 06/27/2016 07:50 PM, Jeffery Shivers wrote:
***Final/"draft" Modes***
OpenLilyLib will ideally be used in final/draft/etc. modes in order to
toggle between fancy/plain settings, or really whatever the user
decides to work out. The idea is to be able to set/compile settings in
either mode at the individual package level (i.e. scholarLY, etc.),
and also to be able to toggle all-at-once by directing OLL's mode. And
individual packages will have an additional optional setting to *keep*
whatever mode regardless of OLL's mode, if so desired.

The question here is about naming mostly. A `final` mode is ideally
the *implicit* mode, so it doesn't have to be explicitly set (though
it still could be). An alternative mode, `draft` would need to be
turned on explicitly. There have apparently been discussions in the
past particularly about the name "draft" (though I haven't found them
in my search); in any case, I'd like to know what others think about
that now, and of course the concept of this feature in general.

Looking forward to your thoughts about these things, and to
following-up with some test-drivable results in the near future.

For greater flexibility, would it be feasible to allow users to create and name any number of their own modes (rather than having two "hard-coded")? That's probably more complex to implement, but it would allow switching between 3 or more modes for whatever purpose. Again, just a thought...

Thanks for your good work!
-Paul