Re: GSoC update; Q's about final/draft modes, and triggering footnotes

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: GSoC update; Q's about final/draft modes, and triggering footnotes
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 14:48:06 +0200

On 03.07.2016 03:34, Jeffery Shivers wrote:
I'd appreciate any thoughts on the following syntax for implementing footnotes with annotations:

\criticalRemark \with {
    message = "my annotation"
} #'(1 . 2) "my footnote" Slur a4_\the-footnote-hook ( ...

vs.

\criticalRemark \with {
    message = "my annotation"
footnote-offset = #'(1 . 2)
    footnote-text = "my footnote"
} Slur a4_\the-footnote-hook ( ...

The first is less keystrokes, but the second makes the code so much easier to read, that I prefer it. The keystrokes might be reduced by autocompletion in the editor.

vs. either of the above *without* the need for the footnote hook at all. I'm not totally sure how easy/possible it would be to automate the footnote by the presence of offset/text arguments, but I certainly think it would be work trying. Of course, I can see why taking away that need for a hook could also be considered somewhat intrusive of the package, so opinions *against* that would be good to hear.

It would be good to have a possibility of using the message as footnote-text, perhaps triggering the footnote through a boolean then. I would certainly prefer not to need a footnote hook; it seems somewhat redundant from a user’s perspective.

Best, Simon