Re: NR 2.10.2 - arabic key signatures

From: Blöchl Bernhard
Subject: Re: NR 2.10.2 - arabic key signatures
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 12:44:59 +0200

Am 05.07.2016 11:43, schrieb Federico Bruni:
Il giorno lun 4 lug 2016 alle 12:10, Carl Sorensen
<address@hidden> ha scritto:

On 7/1/16 5:08 AM, "Federico Bruni" <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi all

In the following paragraph, taken from
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/arabic-music#arabic-k
ey-signatures

 Other maqams in the same bayati group, as shown in the table below:
(bayati, hussaini, saba, and ushaq) can be indicated in the same way.
 These are all variations of the base and most common maqam in the
 group, which is bayati. They usually differ from the base maqam in
 their upper tetrachords, or certain flow details that don¹t change
 their fundamental nature, as siblings.

The last sentence seems quite obscure to me. What are "flow details"?
What are "siblings" in this context?

I think that "flow details" and "siblings" are arabic music terms, rather
than LilyPond internal terms.

ok

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_maqam

Although, I can't really understand that wikipedia page either.  It
appears that maqams are so different from traditional western music that
the terms are very difficult to relate.

In this page:
http://www.maqamworld.com/maqamat.html

it talks about "melodic flow":

Another peculiarity of maqamat is that the same note is not always played with the same exact pitch. The pitch may vary slightly, depending on the __melodic flow__ and what other notes are played before and after that note. The idea behind this effect is to round sharp corners in the melody by drawing the furthest notes nearer. This effect is sometimes called the law of attraction or gravity, and is common in other musical traditions (e.g. in Byzantine music).

Perhaps the doc is implicitely about "melodic flow details"?
Then what would "siblings" mean in that context?