Sustain pedals (newbie question)

From: Joel C. Salomon
Subject: Sustain pedals (newbie question)
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 16:17:36 -0400

The attached .ly is an attempt to recreate the score shown in the
attached PNG file, but the position of the pedal marks is different, and
I can’t figure out how to achieve this.  (My MIDI interface is also not
so great that I can tell whether the pedal is depressed in the correct
place.)

It’s entirely possible I’m completely missing the mark about how to use
the sustain pedals in Lilypond, but this is my best effort given my
reading of the manual.  Any pointers or corrections would be
appreciated; explanations even more so.

(The discussion “Piano pedal mark collision (\sustainOn, \sustainOff)”
from January of this year,
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.general/109576>, is
likely related, but part of me not understanding Lilypond’s
sustain-pedal notation is that I don’t understand what Mr Pawelczyk is
doing in that thread.)

—Joel C. Salomon