Re: Arpeggio across notes of differing lengths

From: Joel C. Salomon
Subject: Re: Arpeggio across notes of differing lengths
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 20:09:35 -0400

On 2016-07-06 4:16 PM, Robin Bannister wrote:
> This corresponds to the example
> 'Creating arpeggios across notes in different voices'
> in NR 1.3.3.
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-as-lines#arpeggio
>
> but unfortunately its says further down
> 'The simple way of setting parenthesis-style arpeggio brackets does not
> work for cross-staff arpeggios'
>
> This is because \arpeggioParenthesis assumes you are inside just one
> Voice, and so is ineffective for PianoStaff and even just Staff.
> So you must do what it does, but for Staff, e.g.
<snip>

Thank you; that worked. Interestingly, it is not documented there that
\arpeggio will work for notes which are not themselves chords.  Until
I’d added your code, putting \arpeggio there caused an error message
“warning: no heads for arpeggio found?”, which seemed to me to indicate
that this would not work; I’m glad to be wrong.

—Joel C. Salomon