Re: tuplet bracket slope

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: tuplet bracket slope
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 20:42:46 -0400

Hi Gilberto,

On 7 July 2016 at 3:07:25 AM, Gilberto Agostinho wrote:

> Beam angles should not deviate far from the horizontal because the eye
> perceives duration on the horizontal plane.

What nonsense Gould writes here. I perceive duration in notation on any angle. The book is not always right in its justifications.

So I would say that from Gould's opinion, there should indeed be a slope
limit to the tuplet brackets, and that slopes should never be too acute
anyway. Also, it would be great to have some way of forcing the brackets to
be always horizontal, similar to what can be achieved with beams by using
\override Beam.damping = #+inf.0

Here’s how to set all tuplet brackets horizontal on one command:

horizontalTuplets =
\override TupletBracket #'stencil =
#(lambda (grob)
   (let* ((pos (ly:grob-property grob 'positions))
          (dir (ly:grob-property grob 'direction))
          (new-pos (if (= dir 1)
                       (max (car pos)(cdr pos))
                       (min (car pos)(cdr pos)))))
     (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'positions (cons new-pos new-pos))
     (ly:tuplet-bracket::print grob)))

Originally from Thomas Morley. I posted this recently along with the code for the extremely useful \tupletAngles function which was then discussed in detail.

Andrew