Re: PDF author metadata

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: PDF author metadata
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 02:38:40 -0500

On 07/07/2016 02:23 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:
Who should be in your opinion the author of a LilyPond score PDF? The
composer or the typesetter?

Usefulness does not come into play here as long as there is a standard.
The PDF standard states:

Key          Type        Value
Author       text string (Optional) The name of the person who created the
document.

“[T]he person who created the document” is extremely ambiguous. Is “the document” the composition, the score, the arrangement... ? The philosophers with whom I work can (and do!) spend years debating these things.

The shortest realistic answer is that whoever creates the PDF decides who the “author” of that PDF is; if they don’t care enough to credit someone else, then it’s them, or no one at all.

~Chris
“If you’ve been a man o’ action, though you’re lying there in traction,
 You will gain some satisfaction thinkin’, ‘Jesus, at least I tried.’”
  — Andy M. Stewart (1952–2015), “Ramblin’ Rover”