Exploring an idea for interactive display of annotations

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Exploring an idea for interactive display of annotations
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 02:34:19 +0200

Hi all,

triggered by Jeffery's work on ScholarLY and my work on an edition project with students I thought of exploring an idea, and I'd be happy to have some people (with specific skills) join me/us.

I would like to do the following:

  • Let ScholarLY add an 'id to the affected grob
  • Let ScholarLY export annotations to a JSON file (including the same ID).
  • Let LilyPond compile to SVG (where the elements get the ID)
  • Display the SVG score in a web page
  • Use the ID to create popovers displaying the annotation
  • Use it also to display a list of annotations with links to the score elements

I think all this should be principally quite straightforward - and provide us with the basics for stuff that can go pretty far into what digital editions do today.

I would implement the website part with Angular, as that's what I have some experience with. But if someone chimes in and insists on taking a different approach I wouldn't object.

Best
Urs