Re: Problem coloring Ambitus ledger-lines

From: Cynthia Karl
Subject: Re: Problem coloring Ambitus ledger-lines
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 15:53:27 -0500

Sat, 9 Jul 2016 16:51:25 +0200 Thomas Morley <address@hidden>:

> Subject: Re: Problem coloring Ambitus ledger-lines

>> The following MWE:
>>
>> \version "2.19.38"
>>
>> music =  { c'4 c''' r2 }
>>
>> \score {
>>   \new Staff \music
>>   \layout {
>>      \context { \Staff \consists "Ambitus_engraver"
>>          \with { \override AmbitusNoteHead.color = #red
>>                     \override AmbitusLine.color = #red
>> %                     \override LedgerLineSpanner.color = #red
>>          }
>>      }
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> seems to illustrate a problem with Ambitus, namely, there doesn't seem to be
>> a way to change the color of ledger lines within the Ambitus.  The output of
>> the above snippet is attached; it shows the Ambitus ledger lines as black.
>> Uncommenting the "\override LedgerLineSpanner.color = #red" statement
>> changes the color of not only the ledger lines within the score, but also
>> within the Ambitus.
>>
>> It looks like there should be a grob, AmbitusLedgerLineSpanner, independent
>> from LedgerLineSpanner.
>
> We have the start/stopStaff-functionality to insert changes for p.e.
> StaffSymbol and LedgerLineSpanner,.
>
>> Or am I overlooking something?
>
> How about:
>
> music =  {
> \once \override Staff.LedgerLineSpanner.color = #red
> \grace s128
> \stopStaff
> \startStaff
> c'4 c''' r2
> }

Well, that seems awfully hackish.  The first problem is that it triggers the
notorious and perpetual problem with coordinating staves that begin with a
grace note.  And in my actual scores as opposed to my MWE I’m running into
problems that seem related and that I don’t yet understand how to fix.  For
example, I have one staff that is using cueDuringWithClef initially, and the
cued clef is engraved at the very beginning of the staff, i.e., before the
actual clef, key and time signatures.

I guess that for the time being I’ll either not color the Ambitus at all (my
actual color is grey in order to make the ambitus a little less obtrusive), or
just live with a few bold ledger lines.

I’m guessing from all this that the Ambitus is actually part of the
StaffSymbol. Is that right?

Thanks for your input.
Patrick Karl