Re: Alla breve notation in Kyrie (2) from Bach's Hohe Messe

From: Jogchum Reitsma
Subject: Re: Alla breve notation in Kyrie (2) from Bach's Hohe Messe
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 09:13:10 +0200

Op 09-07-16 om 22:37 schreef Simon Albrecht:
On 09.07.2016 20:53, Jogchum Reitsma wrote:
For me it still is odd to see cut C noted, and then not two, but four halves in each bar.

The history of the c and cut c symbols is complex and difficult to grasp. Historically, both are derived from proportion signs which said nothing about the length of any ‘measures’, but about the proportion of different note values. ‘Bar lines’ were already used in 15th and 16th century /scores/ (parts didn’t have bar lines at all), most commonly at intervals of a longa (4/1) or a brevis (2/1). As time went on, music of the ‘seconda prattica’ moved on towards ever shorter note values and eventually it became an option to write lines after each whole note duration. This Bach piece we are talking about references the ‘old style’ through its notation, placing the bar lines after each breve, but Bach added those small lines at half measures – I think that’s a speciality of his. Using cut c as a synonym for 2/2 measure really is a 19th (or even 20th?) century invention.

Best, Simon

Aha, thanks! So, from a coding issue in lilypond I learned something about the history of music notation...

regards, Jogchum