Re: PDF author metadata

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: PDF author metadata
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 20:48:27 +0200

J Martin Rushton <address@hidden> writes:

> On 10/07/16 17:47, David Wright wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> While one might argue that a lot of religious translations might
>> have been written with a view to intonement, or recitation at
>> least, and therefore with particular attention paid to the rhythm
>> of the words, I don't think that Jefferson wrote letters to Adams
>> that way.
>>
>> Cheers, David.
>>

> That rather depends upon the translation of the Bible used.  The KJV
> was given a polish from Genesis to Revelation to make it read
> beautifully (one of my ancestors was involved).  Some later versions
> were written to be more in keeping with common speech and to be used
> for private study.  Compare John Iv1 in the KJV:
>
> In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word
> was God.
>
> with The Basic English Bible:
>
> From the first he was the Word, and the Word was in relation with God
> and was God.

Sorry, but I find the former a better translation of

ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος, καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν, καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος.

even when it reverses the order of God and Word in the last part (I can
see the rationale for the reversal because the categoric use of "God" is
hard to bring across in English with unchanged word order but don't
consider it really helpful).

--
David Kastrup