Re: Position fingerings for diatonic accordion that include button name

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Position fingerings for diatonic accordion that include button name (not just finger)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 20:44:11 +0000

On 7/11/16 12:06 PM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:

>I think the fundamental question is how to provide the information.
>
>We have a similar choice to make with tablature: enter the musical
>information, or enter the playing instructions.
>
>With tablature, the choice ended up being notes, occasionally helped
>with string numbers.  Where this "occasionally helped" is not present,
>you have the advantage of being able to _transpose_ and a new tablature
>falls out.  You can change the string tuning, and a new tablature falls
>out.  This would be the same with diatonic accordions: you could change
>your instrument to one with a different tuning or transpose the melody,
>and you'd get a new score.  And/or you could change your choice of when
>to push or pull (assuming notes are available) and you'd get a new score
>appropriately changed.
>
>Now make no mistake: we had people complain that they cannot enter stuff
>in tablature rather than notes.  Obviously, there is a market for that.

I know nothing about diatonic accordions, but given your comment on this
it seems that the best approach would be to define an diatonic accordion
engraver that could take a note together with an accordion description
(the equivalent of a StringTuning) and automatically spit out the symbol.
It could be consisted in a new context that is an alias for ChordNames,
but with the chord-namer function changed to an accordion namer function.
And if you need the push/pull information to help decide the button you
could use \downbow and \upbow (at least in the beginning).

I think such an approach would require no changes to the parser, and could
actually be done in Scheme (using Scheme engravers) as an initial approach.

Thanks,

Carl