Re: Exploring an idea for interactive display of annotations

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Exploring an idea for interactive display of annotations
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 15:06:15 +0200

Hi Paul,

thanks for your pointers.

Am 10.07.2016 um 18:39 schrieb Paul:
Hi Urs,

On 07/08/2016 08:34 PM, Urs Liska wrote:

I would like to do the following:

  • Let ScholarLY add an 'id to the affected grob
  • Let ScholarLY export annotations to a JSON file (including the same ID).
  • Let LilyPond compile to SVG (where the elements get the ID)
  • Display the SVG score in a web page
  • Use the ID to create popovers displaying the annotation
  • Use it also to display a list of annotations with links to the score elements

I think all this should be principally quite straightforward - and provide us with the basics for stuff that can go pretty far into what digital editions do today.

I would implement the website part with Angular, as that's what I have some experience with. But if someone chimes in and insists on taking a different approach I wouldn't object.

Two quick thoughts:

Sounds complementary to LilyPond HTML Live Score.  Might be some useful overlap to work with / leverage there?

https://gitlab.com/sigmate/lilypond-html-live-score

Hm, I'll definitely have a closer look and get in touch with the author. But I'm not sure if that's really compatible (for example as it exploits the same property as I have in mind).

As you probably know, I've heard that Angular 2 is quite different from Angular 1.x. (big break in backwards compatibility, difficult migration from 1 to 2, etc.)  So if you're using Angular, I think you'd want to use version 2.

React.js might be worth considering as well.  I'll be using it for my GSOC project.  What you describe seems relatively simple (as web apps go), so maybe the more minimal approach of React would make sense and do all you need?

Good, maybe an incentive to give it a try (or at least look). The fact that Angular is the only framework I know so far isn't really a good argument ...

Best
Urs

Just some thoughts, I'm no expert, and I don't expect I'll have time to contribute to this...

Cheers,
-Paul