Re: Trouble with EPS backend output use

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Trouble with EPS backend output use
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 14:11:32 -0500

On Wed 13 Jul 2016 at 08:45:02 (-0500), Joshua Nichols wrote:
> I'm on Macintosh.
>
> Perhaps you misunderstand me: I do not have issues viewing or editing any
> other EPS file on my system except for the ones created by LilyPond.

> >> Whenever I create it, I cannot adequately open it in, lets say,
> >> illustrator, or another vector editor, nor can I embed it in a pages or
> >> lyx/latex file without getting errors about the file type.

So are these errors related to the Mac's file metadata being wrong in
some way, or to the contents of the file itself? Does it start with
stuff like:

%!PS-Adobe-2.0 EPSF-2.0
%%Creator: LilyPond 2.19.44
%%BoundingBox: 19 -756 584 -47
%%Orientation: Portrait
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Emmentaler-11
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Emmentaler-13
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Emmentaler-20
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Emmentaler-23
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font TeXGyreSchola-Bold
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font TeXGyreSchola-Italic
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font TeXGyreSchola-Regular
%%EndComments
%%BeginProlog

> >> I once could get it to inkscape, but it it couldn't produce the note
> >> heads and various other vector fonts which I assumed were embedded in the
> >> file.

No, neither can I. All the text, lines, slurs, stems etc look ok, the
(numeric) time signature is in the wrong font and the noteheads are
missing. I assume this is because Inkscape can't read the font
information in the EPS.

> >> I'm having issues embedding EPS files produced in the back end feature in
> >> 2.18.x.

Is your interest in EPS files because you really want to make use of
the PostScript within, or are you just using them as a medium to get
the score out of LilyPond and into the next program along the chain,
like LaTeX or whatever?

If the latter, have you considered using PDFs instead of EPSs?
I suspect most people who used EPSs have gone that way already.
http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/28788/what-unique-benefits-does-the-eps-format-provide

Cheers,
David.