Re: How to control the placement of symbols (in \mark \markup)?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: How to control the placement of symbols (in \mark \markup)?
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 23:00:15 +0200

Hello Mojca,

first let me give credit to David Kastrup, from whom I got the initial idea of this code, and some of the interesting methods you address below.

On 14.07.2016 11:08, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
I would only like to ask for a bit of explanation of the code to get a
better understanding (being new to the lilypond world).

1.) I understand "\skip $t": make an invisible skip for this duration.
But what is "<> -" following that? An empty chord? What about the
dash?

Yes, it’s an empty chord – a trick useful in some circumstances. The dash is just there to append a post event to the chord, as with anything like c-^ .

2.) How exactly does "\context Bottom" work? The best hit I could find was
     http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/contexts-explained
but that's not exactly it.

IIUC \context Bottom references the lowest context in hierarchy which you are currently in. In this case it’s there to prevent the <<>> from creating an extra voice by placing it inside the current voice, if you get what I mean.

3.) How much "music" does the "m" variable from the \after function
"digest"? Just a single pitch?

As much as you like, though if it’s more than one note, you need to wrap it in {} or <<>>.

Best, Simon