Re: \accidentalStyle for common choir notation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \accidentalStyle for common choir notation
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 11:13:44 +0200

David Wright <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu 14 Jul 2016 at 19:07:41 (+0200), Jonathan Scholbach wrote:
>> Sorry, guys, for being so rude. But can we talk about LP-features
>> instead of arguing about best-practice-typesetting? That would be
>> nice :)
>> To me, this discussion is somewhat obsolete. A good program should
>> leave the decision to the user. And that's where LP is failing at
>> the moment, cause user cannot choose the option very many - not to
>> say: the very most - engravers of choir scores opted for.
>
> I apologise for fighting your corner.
>
>> \accidentalStyle piano works in GrandStaff, but is needed in
>> ChoirStaff. So can somebody please be so kind to invest her energy,
>> time and skills into this problem instead of wasting her capacities
>> in a discussion about a question which is at least in part a matter
>> of personal taste? I tried to manipulate the scm/music-functions.scm
>> but, since I do not understand it, without success.
>
> I don't know whether my contribution could persuade Phil that
> reputable publishers print what he, as a singer, might find
> confusing. However, as a LP Main Developer and a member of the
> Bug Squad, he might be the sort of person to be able to make
> such a that change if he was won over.

\accidentalStyle is not about figuring out what the best way of
typesetting things are, but about specifying one way to do it.

So the threshold for a feature is more like "are people going to have a
reason for wanting it" rather than "is it the best way to typeset this".

Of course, we will save ourselves a lot of discussions if "are people
going to have a reason for wanting it" does not imply "we need to
provide an implementation for exactly what they are going to want" but
if it is reasonably easy to make LilyPond do what you want without your
particular use case needing to be coded into LilyPond in some manner.

--
David Kastrup