Re: Start music at specified measure without having to fill the previous

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Start music at specified measure without having to fill the previous.
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 22:45:47 +0200

Hi Dimitris,

in general it would be helpful to quote the relevant part of the message
you are replying to because otherwise people might not know what you are
referring to.

Am 17.07.2016 um 18:11 schrieb dtsmarin:
> Thanks Urs,
>
> could you explain  further this?

First I must say I threw in the comment about the edition-engraver from
my mobile, without any further checks. And it seems that right now my
idea doesn't work.

The edition-engraver is a tool that can insert music expressions at
specific positions in a score. That means these elements don't have to
be coded within the music. One typical use case is to do this with
overrides, to separate the engraving tweaks from the musical content. Or
one can insert elements like rehearsal marks or line breaks externally.

So I thought that - when the "mods" are entered as "LilyPond music
expressions" this might also be used to insert actual music at that
specific point in time (the edition-engraver addresses measures by
number, regardless of how "much" time has gone by so far). A quick test
showed that this doesn't work - yet. But I think this would be a
terrific option for many use cases, so one might try if using "music" as
a mod might be made to work. Jan-Peter, what do you think?

> Btw, I downloaded the files but they don't work. Too many missing .ily files
> that even if I downloaded them I don't get it to work.

I'm sorry, these openLilyLib libraries are really undocumented yet
(actually I mocked around about this with Abraham Lee on the very thread
on the facebook group where we started off from).

The edition-engraver package *depends* on another package (I *think* it
is only that one), so you have to "install" that other one as well.
You should have one "root" directory somewhere on your computer (e.g.
"oll-lib"), and this directory has to be in LilyPond's search path
(through the -I command line option, or easier in Frescobaldi's
Preferences). Within that root you need the edition-engraver directory
*and* the "oll-core" package (from https://github.com/openlilylib/oll-core).
If you have this you can try the example files from within the
edition-engraver package.

HTH
Urs