Re: Start music at specified measure without having to fill the previous

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: Start music at specified measure without having to fill the previous.
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 08:34:08 +0200

Hi Urs,

Am 17.07.2016 um 22:45 schrieb Urs Liska:
Hi Dimitris,

First I must say I threw in the comment about the edition-engraver from
my mobile, without any further checks. And it seems that right now my
idea doesn't work.
That's right.

The edition-engraver is a tool that can insert music expressions at
specific positions in a score. That means these elements don't have to
be coded within the music. One typical use case is to do this with
overrides, to separate the engraving tweaks from the musical content. Or
one can insert elements like rehearsal marks or line breaks externally.

So I thought that - when the "mods" are entered as "LilyPond music
expressions" this might also be used to insert actual music at that
specific point in time (the edition-engraver addresses measures by
number, regardless of how "much" time has gone by so far). A quick test
showed that this doesn't work - yet. But I think this would be a
terrific option for many use cases, so one might try if using "music" as
a mod might be made to work. Jan-Peter, what do you think?
What I want is the possibility to insert cues with the edition-engraver. I wouldn't suggest entering whole scores that way. The problem is, that the edition-engraver needs to track time and follow a music stream beside the one triggering the main events. The edition-engraver is called only on moments, where there is an event triggered in the main stream.
For example (incomplete pseudo code):

{ c''1 }
\editionMod cues 1 2/8 Staff { e''8 d'' }

First the mod isn't triggered at all, because there is no event on that moment triggering the engraver-slots. Second, if there would be an event, how shall the second note get triggered? That might all be possible, but IISC it leads to a reimplementation of the translation process. So Simons suggest of gridly or the like seams more usable. (There is a longstanding item on my agenda to document my lalily template approach and to produce an openlilylib module for it.) Back to the topic, I would rather suggest extending the methods of assembling music expressions.

Best
Jan-Peter