Re: Vertical clash of contents

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: Vertical clash of contents
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 14:11:29 +0200

On 18 July 2016 at 14:01, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> Why can’t you simply use the lilypond fingering instruction? You can stack
> fingerings as per your MWE, and they are easy to enter.

1.) I want to enter both finger number *and* button name. So something
like "2 B4" (where 2 is the finger number and B4 is the button name).
In addition it is usually helpful to have a bit more control about
whether or not finger numbers are actually typeset, their style
(potentially different from button name to be distinguishable with
ease) and placement.

I totally agree that fingerings alone are much easier to enter and I
would prefer to be able to write something like
    <f-"2.B4" a-"3.B5">
but as far as I understand this is currently not really supported.

I also totally agree that the fingerings are *the most sensible* place
where this information should be entered. (Placing the information
inside the lyrics is "kind-of horrible" idea, but I don't know how to
achieve the desired layout if I start from fingerings.)

2.) Even if I somehow tweak this to work with some complex syntax, it
will look like "drunken lyrics" because I have absolutely no control
of the vertical placement. I would really like all the buttons /
fingers to be aligned vertically, otherwise it looks horrible (I can
post the example again). But if someone can show me how to tweak the
fingerings properly to satisfy my needs, I'll gladly use those
instead.

> I am sorry I have not been following your accordion thread as this is an
> instrument I know nothing about, so I apologise if this idea has already
> been rejected for accordion specific reasons.

There are no "accordion-specific" reasons.

Mojca