Re: How to create a thick horizontal line (as its own staff)?

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: How to create a thick horizontal line (as its own staff)?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 14:26:44 +0200

On 14 July 2016 at 23:59, David Nalesnik wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>>> Ah, OK.  Good.  I assumed that the push applied to both staves and so
>>> should be
>>> centered like many piano dynamics. But as I say I know nothing about
>>> accordion notation!
>>
>> Yes, push applies to both staves of course (with a bit of humour:
>> pushing open part and pulling the other would probably result in
>> translation of the instrument rather than music :) :) :) :).
>
> That puts it into perspective :)
>

>> I checked one of the scores I got and the lines are in fact not
>> aligned vertically. They might indeed be "centered in the empty space
>> between the staves", but the effect is not noticeable because the
>> differences in line heights are just minor ones.
>
> I think you will be able to do much more with alignment putting the
> line into its own context.  In the attached example, I
> put it into a Dynamics context.  You have to use spacers to get the
> attachments right--redundant information, but I think that
> the advantages make the extra trouble worth it.
>
> That is if you can come to grips with the complex vertical spacing engine :)

Thank you very much. It took me some time to debug some of my own bugs
in the code, but I managed to typeset a couple of different real
scores successfully with your code.

Apart from the annoyance that it takes some redundant information to
define where the horizontal line should be, the visual output looks
exactly as I want it to be. No "vertical line jumping" (unless really
required) and no undesired clashing with anything from the top or
bottom stave.

>> Thank you. But now the line from the 8th bar on is too close to the
>> bottom stave (and in the second example the last horizontal line is
>> too close to the upper stave).
>>
>> It looks slightly better if I add >c'< to the basses of the first
>> example or >c< to the main melody of the second example.
>
> Again, you have complete control over vertical spacing with the line
> in its own context.
>
> [coloring objects affected by push/pull}
>

>> What I meant was rather the following:
>>
>> \new PianoStaff <<
>>   \new Staff {
>>     f'1
>>     \startPush
>>     f'
>>     \startPull
>>     f'
>>   }
>>   \new Staff {
>>     \clef bass
>>     f1
>>     f % some magic to make this one red automatically
>>   }
>>>>

> Oh, OK, not trivial at all to do this automatically.  Probably you
> will end up just doing it manually.

Thank you. Given that "\repeat volta" has a way to work properly, I
didn't entirely give up on the idea yet. I now understand that it's
tricky and difficult, but I'll try to keep exploring ...

> Please see the attached example, where I recreate the PNG you attach
> down-thread.  I omitted several elements
> which are easily handled by extra Dynamics or Lyrics contexts.

Thanks again!

>> The "best" scores for beginners contain all of the following elements:
>> - all the pitches in both staves (melody + basses), even if everyone
>> ignores them
>> - all button names for both staves
>> - all finger numbers (at least for the upper stave)
>> - lyrics
>> - playing direction
>
> Thank you for the explanation.  My reaction is that it would be nice
> to be able to present different
> "editions" which provide this and that information but omit details
> which, say, an experienced player wouldn't need.  Judging by the PNG,
> these scores are cluttered and possibly a bit
> overwhelming for the player?

Not entirely joking, but ... experienced players don't need scores :)
They just play :)

Usually the finger numbers are not needed by experienced players.
Those who can read the usual notation (most don't, or at least cannot
do the translation between the accordion buttons and the notation) may
not need the aid of button numbers, but then those people don't need
*anything* beyond the "regular scores". So most users would request at
least the button numbers to be able to learn with ease. (Basses could
also be represented with numbers or names instead of scores to save
space.)

I will try to talk to some teachers and let you know if I find some
examples of music as would be requested by the most experienced
musicians on this instrument.

> I hope that the attached will give you what you need.  It didn't take
> me long at all to recreate what I did of the score example.

Yes, so far this seems to work perfectly well for me.

Is there a chance that after giving it some thought and time to
"ripe", think about potential optimization and configuration, the code
would be included in an official Lilypond library, avoiding the need
to copy-paste all those 200 lines?

Thank you,
    Mojca