Re: Vertical clash of contents

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Vertical clash of contents
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 14:55:59 +0200

Mojca Miklavec <address@hidden> writes:

> On 18 July 2016 at 14:01, Andrew Bernard wrote:
>> Hi Mojca,
>>
>> Why can’t you simply use the lilypond fingering instruction? You can stack
>> fingerings as per your MWE, and they are easy to enter.
>
> 1.) I want to enter both finger number *and* button name. So something
> like "2 B4" (where 2 is the finger number and B4 is the button name).
> In addition it is usually helpful to have a bit more control about
> whether or not finger numbers are actually typeset, their style
> (potentially different from button name to be distinguishable with
> ease) and placement.
>
> I totally agree that fingerings alone are much easier to enter and I
> would prefer to be able to write something like
>     <f-"2.B4" a-"3.B5">
> but as far as I understand this is currently not really supported.

Well, those are text scripts and not fingerings, but one may do
something akin to

"\\-" = #(define-event-function (m) (markup?)
          #{ \tweak text \markup \normal-text #m -1 #})

{ <f\-"2.B4" a\-"3.B5"> }
> I also totally agree that the fingerings are *the most sensible* place
> where this information should be entered. (Placing the information
> inside the lyrics is "kind-of horrible" idea, but I don't know how to
> achieve the desired layout if I start from fingerings.)

I thought that what made you go to lyrics etc was alignment: having
everything appear at one height.

> 2.) Even if I somehow tweak this to work with some complex syntax, it
> will look like "drunken lyrics" because I have absolutely no control
> of the vertical placement.

Ah yes, you were coming to that.

> I would really like all the buttons / fingers to be aligned
> vertically, otherwise it looks horrible (I can post the example
> again). But if someone can show me how to tweak the fingerings
> properly to satisfy my needs, I'll gladly use those instead.

I don't think this will work according to your desires, namely providing
a semi-independently readable rendering of the button sequences.

--
David Kastrup