Re: funny construction

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: funny construction
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 08:23:21 -0700 (MST)

BGM & David,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 8:35 AM, David Wright [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon 18 Jul 2016 at 08:41:13 (-0500), Br. Gabriel-Marie | SSPX wrote:

> I have a song that goes like this:
> ----------------------------------
> soprano
> alto
>     15 lyric verses in between
> tenor
> bass
>
> soprano
> alto
>     just one lyric in between - it's the chorus
> tenor
> bass
>

> soprano
> alto
>     15 lyric verses in between \repeatOfFourWords
> tenor
> bass
Your outermost enclosing << .. >> says play the enclosed structures
simultaneously. They shouldn't be there.

Replace:

\score {
<<
    \new StaffGroup ...
    \new StaffGroup ...
    \new StaffGroup ...

    \layout { }
}

by:

\score {
    \new StaffGroup ...
    \layout { }
}
\score {
    \new StaffGroup ...
    \layout { }
}
\score {
    \new StaffGroup ...
    \layout { }
}

If the material is sufficiently heterogeneous, it can
make sense to concatenate multiple scores.

True, but I'm pretty sure multiple \score blocks aren't needed here, but rather make the notes/lyrics sequential. How about the following structure, BGM?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.18.2"

altoTop = { c'1 c' c' c' }
altoCenter = { d'1 d' d' d' }
altoBottom = { e'1 e' e'2 e' f' f' }

bassTop = { \clef bass g1 g g g }
bassCenter = { f1 f f f }
bassBottom = { e1 e e2 e d d }

altoNotes = {
  \altoTop \break
  \altoCenter \break
  \altoBottom \bar "|."
}

bassNotes = {
  \bassTop
  \bassCenter
  \bassBottom
}

verseCenter = \lyricmode {
  Cen -- ter verse here
}

centerSkips = \lyricmode { \repeat unfold 4 { \skip 4 } }

choruslet = \lyricmode {
  Cho -- rus!
}

verseOne = \lyricmode {
  Verse one on top,
  % only needed in one of the verses
  \verseCenter
  Verse one be -- low:
  % no need to add skips here since nothing follows
}

% ... verses 2-7 (similar structure to verseFifteen below)

verseEight = \lyricmode {
  Verse eight on top,
  % used to jump over the chorus part since it is already in verseOne
  \centerSkips
  Verse eight be -- low:
  % put this here for convenient vertical alignment
  \choruslet
}

% ... verses 9-14 (similar structure to verseFifteen below)

verseFifteen = \lyricmode {
  Verse fif -- teen top,
  \centerSkips
  Verse fif -- teen low:
  % no need to add skips here since nothing follows
}

\score {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff {
      \new Voice = alto \altoNotes
    }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto alto \verseOne
    % ...
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto alto \verseEight
    % ...
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto alto \verseFifteen
    \new Staff {
      \new Voice = bass \bassNotes
    }

  \layout {
    \override Lyrics.VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-affinity = #CENTER

HTH,
Abraham