Re: Vertical clash of contents

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: Vertical clash of contents
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 11:17:15 +0200

On 18 July 2016 at 14:55, David Kastrup wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec writes:
>
>> I also totally agree that the fingerings are *the most sensible* place
>> where this information should be entered. (Placing the information
>> inside the lyrics is "kind-of horrible" idea, but I don't know how to
>> achieve the desired layout if I start from fingerings.)
>
> I thought that what made you go to lyrics etc was alignment: having
> everything appear at one height.

Indeed.

>> I would really like all the buttons / fingers to be aligned
>> vertically, otherwise it looks horrible (I can post the example
>> again). But if someone can show me how to tweak the fingerings
>> properly to satisfy my needs, I'll gladly use those instead.
>
> I don't think this will work according to your desires, namely providing
> a semi-independently readable rendering of the button sequences.

> "\\-" = #(define-event-function (m) (markup?)
> #{ \tweak text \markup \normal-text #m -1 #})
>
> \relative c' { <f\-"2.B4" a\-"3.B5" c\-"4.B6"> <f\-"2.B4" f'\-"5.B7"> }

Thank you very much for the snippet and for teaching me a new
technique. This is in fact exactly the kind of input I would prefer to
make (at least until I find a way to translate between buttons and
pitches automatically).

But from what I understand one would have to extend lilypond's
functionality to vertically align that text.

Mojca