Running midi -> ly conversion

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Running midi -> ly conversion
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 16:52:29 +0200

Hi,

I wonder if there is any easier (more intuitive) way to run the midi
to lilypond conversion on Mac than

arch -32 /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/midi2ly test.midi

which additionally complains about

/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/midi2ly:945:
RuntimeWarning: Python C API version mismatch for module midi: This
Python has API version 1013, module midi has version 1012.
  import midi

(I didn't try to debug the problem because it was only an annoying
warning, so I ignored it for now.)

1.) Are there any plans to start distributing official 64-bit binaries for Mac?

2.) Are there any plans to allow using Python 3? I initially tried to run

> /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/midi2ly test.midi
  File "/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/midi2ly", line 534
    sys.stderr.write ("SKIP: %s\n" % `e`)
                                     ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Not that Python 3 compatibility would really help here because there
are further problems with the fact that LilyPond ships 32-bit
libraries and has to run on a 64-bit system. But if I manage to
compile lilypond natively, that would help.

3.) Would it be feasible to add a menu entry to the GUI to do the
conversion? Or perhaps at least add an entry about running midi2ly to
    http://lilypond.org/macos-x.html

Thank you,
    Mojca