Re: Defining a function that passes contents between braces to a markup

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: Defining a function that passes contents between braces to a markup
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 17:26:22 +0200

On 19 July 2016 at 14:36, David Kastrup wrote:

> Well, let's put this in perspective.  I've been throwing stuff at you
> without the slightest attempt of toning it down to beginners' level,
> basically expecting you to ask back where required.  I cannot remember
> any list newcomer ingest stuff at that rate and level and pump out new
> iterations.  Either our documentation has improved a lot over time or
> you are just good at picking stuff up and secondguessing system design.
> Knowing your background, it's likely more of the latter.

It's just that I want to learn playing the instrument while I still
have some free time and motivation.

But in contrast to say a guitar (where one can find the chords behind
every corner) it's a very specific market because I would mostly like
to learn "national music" (sadly many of the nice songs from elsewhere
might not be "playable" on the instrument) and with such a small
population most of the scores are either:
- handwritten (often in some hardly legible script)
- written without sufficient information or without "playing aid"
- accessible only via "YouTube tutorials" or some software showing the
buttons to be pressed
- super expensive
- very often non-existing

I would like to start with freely accessible (and "editable") scores
of at least the old national songs (with unknown authors, so no
problems with author rights etc.). If enough people contribute, the
collection could grow fast enough.

But:
- I need to do it while I'm still motivated (and before I learn too
much; because then motivation for adding the playing aid will then
decrease :)
- I need a fast and efficient way to enter the scores

Currently I'm able to enter the pitches fast enough, but adding button
names (and the basses) is still a horrible time waster that I want to
avoid and something that should be fixed if I want to continue the
effort. Most likely I will eventually have to use an external program
for "conversion" between pitches and button numbers.

Mojca