Re: Hyphenating words in lyrics across long repeats and across multiple

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: Hyphenating words in lyrics across long repeats and across multiple pitches
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 12:16:50 +0200

On 21 July 2016 at 11:29, Simon Albrecht wrote:
> On 21.07.2016 03:39, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> When I try to start a syllable that continues after the repeat, I have
>> a problem.
>>
>> Lilypond complains loudly:
>>      repeats.ly:24:38: warning: unterminated hyphen; removing
>>
>> Below an example that should read
>>     Oh, tralalala! Tralalali!
>>
>> (Of course the hyphen would "kind of" work if I add "li!" at the end –
>> it would pretend as if the word was "Tra -- li" and would place the
>> hyphen to the wrong place.)
>>
>> What's the best recipe to fix such cases?
>

> You have to revert to some kind of tricks; in this case, using "Tra -",
> which has the disadvantage of taking the hyphen from the font instead of
> Lily’s engraver tool, so it will probably look slightly different.

Yes, I tried using "Tra-" and noticed that the typesetting was
different (coming from TeX this seems unacceptable :) :) :) :)

OK, I don't mean that seriously. But if this is not easy to handle,
I'm fine with whatever is available and a differently typeset hyphen
is ok.

> See attached.

Thank you.

So I guess that what you wrote me is because "Tra" would normally be
centred on the musical note, but now that a hyphen is considered to be
part of it, it gets wider, so the function shifts the note relative to
lyrics for 0.4 units to the left to compensate.

I cannot decide whether it's more ugly to keep that source code or to
keep a slightly non-central position of the text. I guess it's more
tough to tolerate the ugly source code (plus, if I change the font, I
would have to fix the setting again). But I really like learning a new
trick.

>> Another problem are cases which I would intuitively write
>>      tra -- _ -- la
>>
>> where the first syllable "tra" would be sung across two pitches.
>
> Simple: just omit the second hyphen. Hyphens will be extended to span the
> whole distance until the next actual syllable comes. Same with extenders.

Great, thank you.

Could this be added to documentation, for example somewhere like

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/aligning-lyrics-to-a-melody
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics

It really took me quite some time to figure out how to:
- hyphenate world (my initial attempt was a single '-' and perhaps
even without spaces)
- create an extended underline
- skip notes (my initial attempt was an empty string: "")
- create a "syllable" that contains space
- the two problems mentioned above

A zillion advanced techniques are discussed about how to do tricks
with both horizontal and vertical alignment, but some of the above
very simple techniques could probably be explained in a few words even
in the initial tutorial.

Thank you,
    Mojca