Re: Changing and playing a different instrument in MIDI

From: Robert Blackstone
Subject: Re: Changing and playing a different instrument in MIDI
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 11:46:52 +0200

On 22 Jul 2016, at 08:51 , Mojca Miklavec <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't have much experience with MIDI. I just tried all the media
> players on OS X and realized than only QuickTime Player 7 had some
> very very basic support for playing MIDI files (I cannot even make it
> play loud enough, let alone do anything else with it). None of the
> others I have installed worked (VLC, MPlayerX, QuickTime Player,
> RealPlayer, ...)
>
> So I went on and made a package for TiMidity++ and freepats.
>
> The problem is: I'm still unable to figure out how to change the
> instrument to anything but Piano.

Hello Mojca,
Although I cannot offer a solid solution for your problem with the instrument
playing your midi-file I can suggest a hack or at least a way to get what you
want to hear.

By accident I found that when I click on a LilyPond midi-file it opens in
Finale, giving me the score and the means to play and change the instrument
into whatever I like.
I guess that as  a "LilyPonder" you don't have Finale but maybe one of your
friends has it, who can do it for you and save the audio file with the
instrument of your choice.
-
If necessary I could do it for you.
If you want to give it a try, send me, to test it, a small part of your score.
In will probably be able to return the saved midi-performance on an instrument
of your choice (provided it is in the Finale collection of sounds.)

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone

.