Midi entry (was: Changing and playing a different instrument in MIDI)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Midi entry (was: Changing and playing a different instrument in MIDI)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 17:50:02 +0200

Mojca Miklavec <address@hidden> writes:

> Off-topic:
>
> That said, I wouldn't mind suggestions for some good OpenSource (GUI)
> MIDI editors. I have a bunch of weird MIDI files that I would like to
> turn into scores. They sound OK, but I'm not exactly sure if they were
> just obfuscated on purpose or if they are recordings of "human
> players" and thus the timings are some horrible (i)rational numbers.

midi2ly is unsuitable for quantizing human play.  It's really just a
software-produced Midi reimporter.

"rumor" is rumored to be a bit better but its website is gone.  It still
can be installed in Debian and has Info documentation.

If you do Emacs, I have code for entering stuff on accordion via Midi
(without duration, but picking apart the channels for treble and chord
side and basses and being able to recognize chords and tell them apart
from legato play).  Emacs' LilyPond mode itself is woefully underpowered
and in need of some love, however, so this makes mostly sense when being
able to use Emacs is a reward rather than a penance for you in the first
place.

Denemo (which exports to LilyPond) has some Midi entry modes IIRC, there
might be some Youtube tutorials.

Rosegarden, a Midi sequencer, can also export LilyPond if I remember
correctly.

Working yourself into all of these requires time and effort.
Personally, most of them did not save me time.  I do use my Emacs mode
since it gets me the pitches reasonably fast.

> I did try to play with different settings of midi2ly, but didn't yet
> find the magic recipe for fixing the timing of those (obfuscated?)
> MIDIs.

No, it's just that midi2ly's quantizer is just not for human play.  Try
to see whether you get further with Rosegarden, but don't expect too
much.

--
David Kastrup