Re: getting repeat bar lines to print across an entire system

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: getting repeat bar lines to print across an entire system
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 23:16:55 +0200

>> So I'd say this part of the code is not broken but works as it should,
>> it's just not like you'd expect it should be.
>>

> I'm not sure where you are seeing charts drawn like that.

I did not say having seen such behaviour for multi-stave-scores.
I tried to explain how LilyPond internally deals with BarLine and
SpanBar and which problems this inherits.

> I'm used to seeing this:
> http://www.saxuet.qc.ca/TheSaxyPage/Realbook%20C/Four.jpg
>
> or this: http://www.ejazzlines.com/mc_files/2/paladia.gif
>
> or this: http://www.jwpepper.com/scores-png/2240034-4.png
>
> That's just the first 3 examples of that sort of bracket that google image
> search gave me.  I don't think I've ever encountered the convention Lilypond
> has adopted in the real world.

Again, I tried to explain how LilyPond internally deals with BarLine
and SpanBar and which problems this inherits. I did not say the output
for multi-stave-scores is desired or even correct.
I just said the documentation is in line with the way LilyPond treats
BarLines. Did you even think about the segno-example?

> I get that the code base has evolved in such a way that implementing this
> might be non-trivial.  I don't think it follows from that that the current
> implementation is correct.

As said before, I doubt you can achieve the desired behaviour with
simple bar-line-definitions.

> Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there are a whole bunch of people out there preparing
> charts for their upcoming sessions and expecting the bar lines to come out
> looking like that.

And now I'm pissed, maybe I should revert this part of the code.
The LSR-snippet gives a workaround.