Re: Setting beams with new \time 4/4 command

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Setting beams with new \time 4/4 command
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 17:31:07 -0500

On Mon 25 Jul 2016 at 21:21:26 (+0200), David Kastrup wrote:
> David Wright <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I like being able to type   \time 2,2,2,2 8/8
> > but is there a way to specify the same beaming pattern
> > as briefly when it's really 4/4, so I don't get groups
> > of four quavers?
>
> I have no idea what you mean with "when it's really 4/4".  Is the meter
> printed as 4/4?  Or as 8/8 but it should be beamed like 4/4?
>
> Could you write some actual code and tell what is wrong with it?  Or
> even better: when you state "as briefly" that implies that there is a
> way to write it verbosely that you know of.  How about showing the
> verbose code that actually does what you want so that one has a chance
> at guessing just _what_ effect you would have wished to express more
> succinctly?

Happy to oblige. I've used a "desired" beaming pattern of 2,2,4 in this
example just to make it obvious when I'm controlling it and when I'm not.

After the LP defaults, the third example shows the ease which which I
can specify the beaming pattern within the elegant new   \time
command when the time signature is in quavers. But I would like the
same beaming pattern when the time signature is in crochets, and
I just wondered if there's a short way of setting it like the first
method illustrated in NM ยง1.2.3, or do I have to set it with the
longer versions in examples 5 and 6?

Cheers,
David.