Re: Midi entry

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: Midi entry
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 15:45:42 +0200

Hello,

Just before I give up about midi2ly:

On 22 July 2016 at 17:50, David Kastrup wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec writes:
>
>> That said, I wouldn't mind suggestions for some good OpenSource (GUI)
>> MIDI editors. I have a bunch of weird MIDI files that I would like to
>> turn into scores. They sound OK, but I'm not exactly sure if they were
>> just obfuscated on purpose or if they are recordings of "human
>> players" and thus the timings are some horrible (i)rational numbers.
>
> midi2ly is unsuitable for quantizing human play.  It's really just a
> software-produced Midi reimporter.
>
>> I did try to play with different settings of midi2ly, but didn't yet
>> find the magic recipe for fixing the timing of those (obfuscated?)
>> MIDIs.
>
> No, it's just that midi2ly's quantizer is just not for human play.

The problem is that this is what I'm getting in the *.ly file:

trackAchannelA = {
  \key f \major
  \time 3/4
  \key f \major
  \tempo 4 = 170
  \tempo 4 = 170
  \tempo 4 = 170
  \skip 4.
  \tempo 4 = 170
  \skip 16
  \tempo 4 = 169
  \skip 16
  \tempo 4 = 168
  \skip 16
  \tempo 4 = 167
  \skip 16
  \tempo 4 = 166
  \skip 16
  \tempo 4 = 165
  \skip 8
  \tempo 4 = 170
  \skip 16*17
  \tempo 4 = 170
  \skip 16

I would suspect that this looks like obfuscation of the midi file
rather than side-effect of human play, but I could be wrong.

In any case, I got reasonable output for at least some midi files with

    midi2ly -a --duration-quant=16 --key=-1 --start-quant=16 file.midi

except that I had to manually delete all those \tempo settings, but
all those super weird durations are now gone. And the flag "-e"
produces faulty output (I wrote to bug-lilypond about that).

I would ask whether there is a way to suppress the zillion of \tempo
lines, but then again I don't really care because all I want to do is
copy the melody to a different file anyway.

I have to keep playing with more MIDI files. The ones I tried last
time were more problematic (or maybe I just didn't get the parameters
right).

There is one last problem though, see the attached example (a
subsection of what was actually generated from a MIDI file). The
channels are mixed. In the attached file midi2ly-example-correct.ly I
manually reshuffled contents to print what I actually want to get
printed. I guess there is no magic trick to fix this kind of grouping?
The second stave can only contain one of the eleven predefined pitches
or chords (either one or three pitches together). I can manually
reconstruct what I want (or potentially write some converter in a
scripting language like python), I just want to make sure that there
is no "magic wand" existing already. At least something like a script
that would put everything including c1 and below to the bass section
and everything above c1 to the main melody.

Thank you,
    Mojca

(PS: please CC me in case you reply to this)