Re: Midi entry

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Midi entry
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 14:44:28 +0000

On 7/26/2016 8:45 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> I have to keep playing with more MIDI files. The ones I tried last
> time were more problematic (or maybe I just didn't get the parameters
> right).
Attached is a MIDI file you can try importing. This was done with the
SpeedyMIDI program from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/speedymidi/files/ which I have been
using heavily for SATB hymnal work.

To me, MIDI import is a data entry method rather than a means of
recording music. I view the midi2ly script as nothing more than a way to
get manually-entered pitches and durations into LilyPond - and so far,
it's been serving me well for that. When I begin work on file that is a
midi2ly result, I immediately do a big copy-and-paste to my own standard
templates. Oh, I suppose I _could_ learn Python and edit the midi2ly
script to my specs. But even so, I couldn't escape editing work since I
still need to add lots of lyrics.

Karlin High
Missouri, USA