Re: More problems with hor. alignment of button numbers when misusing ly

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: More problems with hor. alignment of button numbers when misusing lyrics (for accordion)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 21:50:37 +0200

On 26 July 2016 at 21:21, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 1:23 PM, David Nalesnik
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 1:01 PM, David Nalesnik
>> <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Same results in 2.18.2 and 2.19.45 (Win10)
>>>

>> Adding
>>
>> \set Lyrics.lyricMelismaAlignment = #CENTER
>>
>> appears to do the trick.  Have to do some more study of Lyric_engraver
>>  to understand why and if this makes any sense whatsoever.
>>

> *Arghh*
>
> As we read in
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics:
>
> "Note: do not use an underscore, _, to skip notes – an underscore
> indicates a melisma, causing the preceding syllable to be
> left-aligned."

Thank you. I went through that page a couple of times, but at the time
I read it I wasn't even sure what melisma was.

> This is exactly what happens. Here, the topmost LyricText is
> interpreted as the end of a melisma, and so left-aligned.

Ahem ...

----------

----------

> Use \skip instead of _ and your problem is solved.

This solves the problem. Interesting enough though, the underscore
keeps (mis)aligning the text even if put in the next bar. Not that
this is a problem. I'll try to consistently enter skips instead of
"_", at least until I find a way to enter bottom-aligned column in
some "humane" way. Initially I was using empty strings, but I was told
that this was bad :)

(I still don't quite understand the logic behind LilyPond's
determination of spacing between staves when some "lyrics" is missing.
This was part of the problem that David K. was confused about at well.
But that's a different question.)

In any case ... the horizontal alignment works now.

Thank you,
    Mojca